Thursday, December 3, 2009

Right Here, Right Now


The visual arts group from my church just recently hung a Thanksgiving exhibit. This is the piece that I completed for it. The teal-colored text says, "There is beauty right here, right now." That quote comes from our arts pastor, John Maikowski. In a recent newsletter, he related an experience being disappointed on a camping trip when he reached a particular summit known for its beautiful views only to find fog and clouds. He said he sensed God telling him that even so, there is beauty right here, right now. John's words just grabbed me and shook me. Our family is going through a very difficult time right now. But, John has reminded me that even though I can't see the expected beauty, there are still many beautiful things in my life. It is wise for me to remember this often and be grateful for all the wonderful blessings I do have. Thank you, John. You words turn on light bulbs in my head.

Details: 24 x 36" gallery-wrapped canvas, Mixed Media (acrylic, colored pencil, charcoal, watercolor); the grayer background lettering is composed of negative words such as apprehension, hesitation, doubt, distrust, fear, confusion, etc. The whiter mid-ground words include a more positive perspective in words such as sacrifice, generosity, love, peace, patience, mercy, grace, joy, kindness, faith and the vertical word is assurance.

No comments: